Burnt Waffles has traded up!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://bwaffles.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Hunchbacks of The Champs-Elysées


I call them that, because all I could see of James Ford and James Anthony Shaw was their shadows hunched over their turn tables, facing one another. Simian Mobile Disco played an electric set, including most tracks from their latest latest album 'Attack Decay Sustain'. Even after drawing each track out for at least eight minutes, they left the crowd wanting more. They seriously exceeded my expectations. But maybe it was the spectacular aura of the club - Le Showcase. Built in the original port of Les Champs-Elysées, under a bridge on La Seine, it felt majestic yet had that (literally) underground vibe similar to Oxford Art Factory. Nevertheless, I can tell it's going to be my favorite club this year. After being told by Parisian friends about how picky they are about letting people in and waiting in a line in minus degree weather for at least an hour, I was also quite astonished by the crowd inside. Expecting the usual lame electro pop crowd that's so standard in Sydney at gigs, I was very surprised to see more 'people' than 'posers'.

Simian Mobile Disco - I Believe

The barman during 'Its the Beat' -


A video of one of the intensely drawn out tracks-



On a more personal note, the next day I came across this song (yes I know it is old!) whilst listening to a podcast. It seemed to express all my sentiments and left me feeling very happy. It also happens to mention Le Showcase...

Friendly Fires - Paris

SMD
Myspace | Website

Friendly Fires
Myspace