Burnt Waffles has traded up!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://bwaffles.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ahoy Thar, Port O'Brien


Finding themselves somewhere in the realm of Colourbook and No Age, with some obtuse hints of Arcade Fire, Port O'Brien are a five-piece outta Oakland who dropped their long-awaited album "All We Could Do Was Sing" in mid-May. There's some kinda Decemberists-esque imagery and it has a kind of Human Television earnestness / naïvete...
Anyway about 18 months ago, Pitchfork reviewed "I Woke Up Today", and claimed it was angsty and isolated. I call bullshit. I was having a weak day today, and other people were having worse ones, and this track picked me up and hit a chord it hadn't when first released in late '06. I think I listened to it once and forgot about it then. But this time, I found the whole confessional, proto-indie-folk-pop sound beautiful. If this song can count as a 2008 release, it's maybe my favourite non-banger track of the year. So far.

Port O'Brien - I Woke Up Today


Myspace | Website

1 comment:

Michaella said...

I wrote a feature on them for Groupie a few months ago and they are super lovely!

I do think this song is a little gimmicky. BUUUUTTT check this out

http://movestill.blogspot.com/2008/06/monday-morning.html

About 40 secs in = BEST audience reaction, prolly ever!